CyBar 286080DD Part 2…Construction
I knew I had definitive areas to construct in order to create the CyBar.
- A chest area to house the minibar
- A head area for the lamp
However, I would also obviously have to create legs for the CyBar to stand on and arms to complete the figure. However, these two elements would obviously come far easier than the chest or head particularly after having gained further knowledge while working on the chest and head.
I felt the best place to begin was the legs of the CyBar.
I decided to build from the bottom up.
To create the legs, I used a mixture of varnished mahogany and mahogany covered in wallpaper, which were stacked. I was attending a woodworking night class at the time so I was able to use the guillotine available to stylise the blocks by cutting angles into them.
After polishing the mahogany with sandpaper and covering with varnish or wallpaper, I could secure the stacked pieces by drilling a hole through the pieces and slotting in a 6mm dowel. I left approx. 15mm of dowel out of the top of the stacked feet which meant that I could then drill two holes in the base of the chest and they could secure the chest to the feet.
After creating the veneer, I attached to the base of the chest and moved onto the other MDF walls for internal decoration. After ordering mirror from a local glazers – Rich Glass in Sallynoggin have helped me out with my very strange requests for very minor pieces of glass and are absolutely great (esp Hazel who has always been very patient with me) – I glued to the mirrors to the back wall and the ceiling. I decorated and varnished the interior side walls mahogany and was almost ready to go…however, an issue arose as I wanted to have a small light on the interior of the chest area and the power source for that light would come from the head. Therefore, a hole had to be created to
run the cable through the mirror lining the ceiling. Contrary to my initial panic, it was easily rectified by the glaziers and was set to go.
The plate of mahogany I had gotten was then cut on a table saw so a central piece was removed.
- This piece would then be cut in half to create to doors and the remaining pieces glued back together to create a frame for them to hang from.
- I knew the doors needed to swing open, it seemed more impressive. In order to do so I had to get tiny dolls house hinges which at only 12mm by 5mm I found out were extremely tedious to apply on both the doors and door frame.
- The doors needed to then be decorated so I created a new veneer pattern which I stuck to the doors before attaching two dolls house miniature handles.
With the chest cavity interior completed, I assembled the chest cavity to prepare for external decoration including the mahogany doors and frame.
After veneering the exterior of the chest cavity, I sanded and then applied the wallpaper leaving me with the below.