CyBar 286080DD – Part 1…Design
CyBar 286080DD was the first CyBar I designed and created under a vintage style. I wanted the feeling of a library or den from a early 1900’s state house…but brand new.
Regrettably I have a very small amount of hand written notes about creating CyBar 286080DD. It wasn’t until I went to create other CyBars with the confidence of having completed one fully, that I began to write out a plan and then build on it…no pun intended…
After throwing around different ideas in my head of what style of CyBar to create I decided on a classical style. The choice stemmed from a previous concept of putting a full installation in a bus shelter which would be a replication of an environment or scene. Examples being:
- A classical late 19th century couple posing in their Morning Room for a portrait
- A ginger bread house
- A zombie enclosure using chicken wire to surround the shelter
- A shop looking to trade “Cash for the Old”
- Where people bought elderly relatives or neighbours to trade for cash
As this became a bigger and bigger project, it became apparent it was further out of my range at the time and that I should concentrate on constructing a CyBar. However, I thought I could incorporate the classical theme into a CyBar, using the wallpaper for the installation as a decorative element which could reference back to the installation if I ever got to make it.
I knew I had definitive areas I had to construct in order to create the CyBar.
- A chest area to house the minibar
- A head area for the lamp
From there, I could do as I pleased, however, I still needed something as a template to for guidance so found the image below and printed.
My written notes go from here start here.
Original text in black with notes on construction in bold.
Classical robot would be elegant with some wallpaper as that of classical bus stop.
- Wallpaper already have
- I found a wine coloured and gold wallpaper which I thought was pretty disco and could imagine in a classical couple’s Morning Room or conservatory.
Lampshade to be placed on top of head.
- Cream lampshade with tassels
- I had purchased a lampshade for the CyBar, as especially with a classical theme, I thought a worn, faux lace lampshade would look great on the CyBar so I purchased one on eBay…this was not the case and it just didn’t suit it after trying it a number of different ways so I left it off.
Chest of robot (and possibly arms) require a form of dado rail along them.
- Something small but elegant
- I never used dado rail for the decorating the CyBar, because anyone who has any sense knows it’d be far too fucking big for the CyBar. Looking back I believe I was thinking of coving. While I did not use coving for the arms, I did use it as a border for the CyBar’s chest.
- Painted in eggshell paint (thick and creamy)
- …”thick and creamy”?…